A smaller system works well for RPG development - I wonder how well it
would work if doing things like Java programming and deploying/testing
in WAS.

On 9/7/07, CRPence <crp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I do not own one... yet. But...
To make the system into a development system should not require such
upgrades.? Maybe if also intended to be used as some kind of limited
benchmark, performance, acceptance test, or proof of concept system?
The system has full CPU, which in my experience is what compilers use
most. That is, the compilers are not usually resource intensive for
either disk or memory. So although the limits on the capable CPW rating
due to limitations on features other than CPU could play a role in some
cases, I expect that some real life experience may find some variations
on the proposed setup by the OP to be quite acceptable. I would always
get as much memory as /affordable/; that would be my preferred variation
on the originally described setup.

And with the licensing change to concurrent users, with two twelve
hour or three eight hour divisions of a day, the five users could enable
cost sharing across closer to ten or fifteen people. Of course getting
ten versus five people, across varied limited or fixed hours, to get the
cost back down, seems already to complicate the original case -- but
that did not include ongoing maintenance charges which start ?3 months? in?

Maybe somebody has an actual experience they will share, about their
use of such a system only for development. Maybe the lease too.

Regards, Chuck
employer

albartell wrote:
The 515 is 2% lease. I found this out the hard way. Had a 515 all
configured and was about ready to send it to IBM lease personnel and
somebody told me it was 2%. Note that the lesser 520 is at 1%.

Note also that to get the horsepower out of the 515 you would have to most
likely double (maybe triple) the HD's and memory (per an email my IBM rep
sent me).

Still not a bad deal even if you double the lease price given the amount of
horsepower and what not.