Different languages, unless you plan on using Java.

That is my current direction - Java. We are in/approaching proof of concept
stage and are trying to "break" the different technologies involved with
Java and create "rules" for deployment (i.e. Java 1.3 just doesn't cut it
because so much has been added in the JRE for 1.6 that makes it much easier
to run Java applications - on Windows that is).

With the explosion of Apple's Mac I think it warrants looking past
Microsoft-only desktops. I was surprised to learn that BestBuy is selling
Mac Powerbook's and iMacs. Don't know when they will start entering the
business space because right now I think it is mostly hobbyists and software
developers that use Macs within the walls of a business, but there's nothing
like planning for the future just in case there is a huge influx.

If that's the direction you're going, I'll be interested to see your
decision making process there.
I am hesitant to use the different technologies that haven't been around for
at least 4 years. Swing is getting "safe", I just haven't used it as much.
I don't believe I have developed with SWT at all - is that what Eclipse RCP
is using? I have debated seeing what I could develop using Eclipse RCP in
regards to business apps...

Right now I am using, believe it or not, AWT for my Java desktop apps. As
far as UI components go it currently has everything I need, but I don't
think that will remain true for to much longer. We will eventually want
richer UI controls that come in the new UI frameworks and then we get to
decide on build vs. migrate.

Okay. Then it's back to the issues of productivity, and most people on
this list are telling you that short of the integration with the desktop,
there's simply not that much the thick client offers. I think you're going
to have to show us the money, so to speak <grin>.

I think a few people have agreed with browser and a few have agreed with
rich client. So much of this conversation is based on where one feels most
productive. I have always felt more productive with something outside the
browser simply because everything works better/faster. That is obviously
not an opinion we share so I can leave it at that.

Good conversation! All business left at the door, right? We'll have to go
out for a cold one at iSeries DevCon in October? :-)

Later,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com