Lukas Beeler wrote:
The only way i found so far to test this was very very stupid (there
probably is a better one):

Power down the machine. Unplug the power (to power down the FSP). Unplug
the UPS cable. Power up the machine. You might now see a message telling
you that an UPS has been disconnected. Power down the machine. Unplug
the Power. Plugin the UPS cable. Power up the machine. Check DSPLOG and
QSYSOPR MSGQ for a message telling you that an UPS was found.

There should be no need to power down the machine to test whether or not it can detect connection/disconnection of the UPS cable. We've connected/disconnected these cables on "live" machines with no problems whatsoever.

We've even had (and it's in the archives) to add relay boxes to suppress the "low battery" signal during UPS self-tests, as that signal, combined with an "on battery power" signal, induces an immediate, unstoppable, emergency power-down (with the consequence of a rather protracted IPL). We've also constructed relay boxes to mimic UPS signals purely based on line power status.

With a chart of the pinouts, and the appropriate breakout box, it should be possible to simulate any possible combination of UPS signals (but again, note that some will initiate an emergency power-down, leaving a large mess to be cleaned up during the next IPL).