EDTTXT is, as noted, part of the System/38 Utilities feature 5722DB1; with IIRC, a pre-requisite feature S/38 Environment 5722SS1 OPTION(06) in library QSYS38. CALL QCL activates the S/38 environment, which activates functions from QSYS38 using unqualified command invocations. That environment can be confusing to the uninitiated, so avoiding that command environment might be preferable to some. While not in the QCL environment, the library qualified request to QSYS38/EDTTXT should suffice; when in QCL, the qualified request is EDTTXT.QSYS38 where the command name precedes the library name and the separator is a period instead of the slash. I have always used QCL; to ensure embedded and other command string consistency. For a request directly from QCMD, the following CALL suffices to activate EDTTXT indirectly from within QCL:
call qcaexec ('edttxt' 6) /* invoke the 6-byte s/38e rqs */

Among the confusion for newbies using QCL, is the S/38 differences in command keys. For the function keys, before entering EDTTXT, be sure that the emulation being used has mapping for an actual F1 key because F1=Exit. And that means some key [sequence] must also be defined as [Help] to get to the help -- I use ALt-F1=Help.

Although a /text document/ editor versus a command or statement environment source editor, the editor does have some other cool features. For example there is merging of selected field data with row selection into the document or a split display. Or merging another source member in the split display like SEU. Plus there dictionary support for a spell checker with word replacements, and offers reading comprehension level testing in spell-check mode.

Regards, Chuck