Hi, Brian:

I've had a number of interesting responses in this thread, some of which
may prove useful in other contexts. But nothing so far that beats the tool
I've already found, as basic as it is. Every answer so far suggests adding
hardware or software or both, and that's not where I'm coming from (unless
we are talking about easily installed free software).

We're networked nine ways from Sunday, but the sample scenario is
rudimentary. Say I have just sat down at the HMC at the satellite
location, carrying nothing related to the secondary i520 but the key to
the cage and a backup tape. I just walked there from our main building, a
couple hundred yards (meters) away. Then, say I decide I need a small CL
"utility". I could write it in my sleep (having done that many times in
the past) but all I have is the 5250 console on the HMC and no SEU. I
don't want to traipse back and forth, or go through geek gymnastics in
between trips, for that matter. I want immediate, and truth be told I want
lazy. So far, the path of least resistance is EDTF.

If this were an ongoing, high volume situation I would be looking at
adding something with some oomph. But this is occasional, low volume, and
simple stuff.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin - 630-754-2141
Manager, Computer Operations