From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:14 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: V5R4 CDs

From: Jones, John (US)

Physical media will take longer to install to the system and you run
into the potential for media errors/defective disks.

With image files you FTP everything to the iSeries while you're doing
something else and let everything install in one relatively quick
pass.

If this was an upgrade & not a scratch install I'd say to do the OS
via
IMGCLG as well.

John, is there a way to rip physical PTF media to images for
installation
via IMGCLG? Does it require a System i, or can you just rip the CDs
using
any standard ripping software? I could get the CDs and load them just
in
case as a backup plan.

Although in my experience IBM's Download Director has been very stable,
and
it's restartable. It's already downloaded nearly 10% of the first of 15
disks, and while it will be running for two days, it's just electrons.

Joe