johnking@xxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for the overview, that also answers another question "Why do the
/bin and /usr/bin directories look identical?" I'm used to a little more
organization and this *nix stuff causes my OCD tendancies to work
overtime...

On a real unix system, /bin and /usr/bin would not look identical. On i5/OS, /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin. Technically, nothing on i5/OS should be in /bin, since the operating system itself isn't administered via QShell/PASE. However, since a lot of Unix software expects stuff to be in /bin, IBM has a symbolic link so that anything that refers to /bin actually gets /usr/bin

Also, there's more info on the Unix directory hierarchy in Wikipedia that you might find useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard