There's also remote journaling, which I think is what the vendors basically use. But I'm not a journaling aficionado.

What I have done is use a two step process. First every night I FTP my libraries from production to backup and restore those.

Second, use SQL to connect to the backup system and post transactions, master file changes, etc., as they come through the production system. Accounting and other batch processes are on their own to recover, which is at most a day's worth of transactions. Since we are a distributor, order processing is our primary concern.

A friend of mine runs a mammoth hospital conglomerate's data center with both centralized and distributed i5's. He uses Vision to keep the systems in sync. It just depends upon how critical an application is, which helps determine how much the company is willing to spend. Hospitals cannot be down. Period. I (we) can afford to lose (temporarily) some data.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jonathan Mason wrote:
There isn't (to my knowledge) a means of prefixing a file name with the
system name like you can with the VAX, but you can create a DDM file on one
box that points to a remote file on another box.

For example, if you have FILEA in LIBA on SYS1 you could have a library, say
DDMLIB2 with a file FILEA in pointing to the remote file on SYS2. You would
create the DDM file using the CRTDDMF command:

CRTDDMF FILE(DDMLIB2/FILEA) RMTFILE(LIBA/FILEA) RMTLOCNAME(SYS2 *IP)

To copy the data from SYS1 to SYS2 you would do something along the lines
of:

CPYF FROMFILE(LIBA/FILEA) TOFILE(DDMLIB2/FILEA) MBROPT(*REPLACE)

There are third party packages, such as DataMirror and Vision that will
replicate data on the fly to secondary systems as part of a high
availability process. I believe they achieve this using a combination of
database journals and data queues between the systems to identify the
changed data and to transfer and apply it.

All the best

Jonathan