On 8/20/07, Alan Campin <Alan.Campin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
I am using crystal reports and would prefer another option. Does sql
server reporting services work with results sets returned by sql
procedures thru odbc connections?
<snip>

As I indicated in earlier post, I do all my database to the AS/400
through a stored procedure. I use OLEDB but ODBC works too. I am now
writing the stored procedure as a service program. Surprising how much
quicker it is and I can have multiple stored procedures using one
service program.

you can return a result set from RPG SQL? I find sql procedures
easier to code than rpg.

I have some earlier posts talking about how to use stored procedures
with SQL Reporting Services.

The report layout is better in Crystal Reports but the complete
integration with the server is what makes it shine. Every report runs
through a report server and is a web report.

business objects ( which owns CR ) has a report server product that
delivers the CR reports thru the browser.

and asp.net supports CR controls on web pages. have not used this
yet, but I think it would work best because you can write all your
report parameter prompts in asp.net code. you also have a lot of
flexibility to make the report data available as xml documents.
formatting reports is kind of a waste of a programmers time.

-Steve