James,

Modern programming techniques teach n-tier programming. Separating the
presentation layer from the application layer from the database layer from
the messaging layer, and so on.

How can you claim to be a modern language if you are using O-specs? Making
your file processes an integral part of your application program is a step
backwards.

Sure, an understanding of the cycle and its benefits is key to learning RPG.
But coding with it is no longer needed.

Trevor