ok you win...i'll go back to using GOTO and TAG, level indicators,matching
records, primary reads, secondary files , I specs, etc, etc...

not!

one of my major pet peeves stems from the cycle (unfortunately people
STILL use it) that's the *INZSR....

the cycle is the best way for people to make spaghetti code than anything
else related to programming. can it be used effectively? sure it can. but
the same is true for modern coding techniques. i'd hate to try making a
living on only cycle code programming...it just can't realistically be
done this day and age. in regards to other comments that have been made
in this thread....the cycle is NOT the only thing (Thank God!!!) that
separates RPG from the rest of the programming languages. RLA and
database integration is what really sets RPG apart.

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

Jerry Adams <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
08/20/2007 01:58 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: RPG IV Certification

Tommy.Holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
the cycle does have "some" advantages...but most can be done using
structured code without using the cycle...as a control freak...i prefer
using structured code 8^)

Technically using the cycle does not, as implied, mean not using
structured code.

And nothing per se is more structured than the cycle. There is one and
only one program flow. It is what people do with (or to) the cycle that
sends chills up and down my spine at times.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice