From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Larry Bolhuis
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 10:06 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: RPG IV Certification

Don,

The tests are accepted. I have multiple customers currently looking for
employees. They ARE asking about certifications. In one case a candidate
claimed 'he could pass any test available for the AS/400'. Sorry for him
the tests are now for System i and he never did show up having passed
any of those. His skills were as old as the AS/400.

I have been participating in the test development process with IBM since
1997. I can tell you that the process is thorough, defensible, and real
world. The Starting point for all tests is 'The Candidate'. This person
is defined in detail: 6' 4", brown hair, glasses..... oops wrong
detail.... years on platform, years in job, tasks they can do in their
sleep, tasks they need help with, tasks that are beyond them. The tasks
are then rated as to criticality and frequency. This determines how many
questions in each area are required to determine competence in that
area.

Years ago I remember planning to take a Novel test and being told 'The
answer to the question about xyz is 123. I know that is wrong but that's
the answer marked correct in the test." How does that help ANYONE
actually do the job? While there may be a question or two in the IBM
tests with wrong answers these are virtually all due to IBM announcing
new stuff turning old wrong answers into new correct answers! (We hate
it when that happens.) IBM refreshes the tests periodically some more
often than others but approximately every other release. Every question
is reviewed by a panel of experts from three groups: 1) IBM, 2) Business
Partners, and 3) Customers. Some mighty fine questions are simply tossed
overboard because they fit one of the categories: 'You would ALWAYS look
that up', 'Only 10 guys in the world have that combination of features',
'Based on opinion' and other reasons. We do require you KNOW stuff
though. We might not ask which edit code gives you commas, decimal
points, zero suppresses with a negative sign on the left because it's
one of a large list and you would likely look that up but we very well
might ask which one will suppress leading zeros because that one is
extremely common.

One of THE BEST sources for the questions we write are real world
customer situations. Those writing the tests will encounter these
situations and put the solution in question form. So as Trevor mentioned
the tests are significantly different than most industry tests where the
test is based on some book or books. We strive very hard *NOT* to have
classes created 'IBM System i V5R4 Operations' (i.e. Come to this course
and we'll teach you the test). People don't want to hire someone who can
pass the test they want someone who can do the job. That's why IBM tests
don't have a study guide or list of books to read. The outline of the
test is available on-line here:
http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/certs/a4_index.shtml Click on any test to
view the objectives for the test they are well described.

And if you feel you'd like to contribute to the test development process
send a note to certify@xxxxxxxxxx and be sure to mention the System i
certifications you'd like to help with!

- Larry

Don wrote:
To the best of my best of my knowledge, there NEVER HAVE been any
study guides, there ARE NO study and most likely never will be...
...unlike almost every other major accepted certification in the
industry...

The reasons for/against vary...but the net effect is that they don't
exist.

In my opinion, this is one of the reasons they've not been accepted by

the industry...nobody knows what to study for...and this is different
than promoting the concept of "learning the exam"...

Don in DC