From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 11:13 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: 6618 drives for model 270

Well this just sucks.

The primary reason I want to go with the BCC drives is that
they are 15K drives rather than the 10K IBM drives. This
machine tops out at V5R4; I wonder if I should just apply
V5R4 and the latest cumes and then never apply another PTF.

Speaking of PTFs, isn't that what A and B sides are for?
Isn't there a procedure to apply a PTF and if it smokes, to

Joe

From: Larry Bolhuis

We had this exact thing happen to customers using BCC
drives. Install
PTF *poof* drive goes away and it was in a 270. Luckily
they had just
one so RAID kept them alive until a replacement from BCC
arrived that
was compatible with the PTF. (The drive had to be purchased
by the way
it was not sent as a replacement for a failed drive.) As I
understand
it, the PTF required some particular operation that the older BCC
drive didn't support, when the drive wouldn't answer it got
voted off
the island.

IBM Would never do that to their own drives because they know what
they can and cannot do.

A classic case was back in the old emulator board days of the S/36.
One of the third party board makers was touting that IBMs
board had a
chip on it that added cost and provided no function. The competitor
could sell cheaper because the chip was not there. They even had
pictures with the IBM chip circled as the reason why IBM was more
expensive. Then the AS/400 was introduced and the chip was
required or you couldn't connect.
The advertisements (and as I recall the competitor) went
away quickly.
This also happened to Decision Data workstations more than
once with
OS upgrades wiping them out until new PROMs were installed.

IBM frequently has unused stuff in their hardware that doesn't get
used until deemed necessary. Since the 3rd party guys have
to reverse
engineer the data stream they don't see the unused
capabilities. When
IBM makes use of these functions the third party guys
sometimes aren't
ready.

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion