From the Type-model field you'll have to take the 2892-002 and then cross
reference it with the models on the iSeries Windows Integration pages. I'm
pretty sure the 2892-002 translates to a 4810 model card (which is end of
sale). The real kicker is the 2892-002/4810s are the Xeon processor and
they can't be migrated via save/restore to the currently marketed 4813
cards (based on Pentium M). Although the 2 BPs that are bidding on our
upgrade kept saying "Sure, sure... they'll migrate with no problem via save
restore", I did my own homework and had the conversations with IBM support
and found out that they WON'T (more of a Windows restriction than anything
according to them).

I think to use 4810s on a new box (525) you need to put them into an 0588
type expansion cabinet (also out of marketing) and then the whole thing
starts to get a little dicey in terms of future support.

We're going to bite the bullet and rebuild our 5 4810 based IXS servers
when we get our new 4813 cards in a few months. It may be the last hurrah
for Windows integration here because the blade solution starts to get
complex and expensive right off the bat. We saved a ton in support fees by
having the IXS type cards as servers, and the same benefit isn't there with
IXAs or the blade types.

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
midrange-l-bounce To
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx Midrange Systems Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
08/09/2007 11:50 cc
AM
Subject
RE: Windows IXS server stuck in
Please respond to VARY ON PENDING
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Ok. So it is NOT all IXS cards, just older ones. I can understand that,
to a point. IBM just recommends iSCSI - nothing there to stop you from
upgrading your IXS cards. Although not being able to order new IXS cards
on a power 6 processor is baffling. What, won't anyone take my check?
Especially when moving certain existing ones is not a problem.

My question is what precludes some of those particular IXS cards. Actually
had a face-to-face with a room full of IBMers on this issue recently and
no one had the answer. Trust me - this was the team that should know.
They were not your "smiling jack the sales guy" type of people.

What, on a WRKHDWRSC *CMN, tells you what IXS card you have?

Resource name . . . . . . . : CC04
Text . . . . . . . . . . . . : Comm Processor
Type-model . . . . . . . . . : 2892-002
Serial number . . . . . . . : 53-4129085
Part number . . . . . . . . : 0000097P4465

Location: U0588.001.107841D-CB1-C11

WRKNWSD finds 8 (not counting the guested Linux lpar).

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Jones, John (US)" <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx>
08/09/2007 11:34 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: Windows IXS server stuck in VARY ON PENDING

Announcement 107-448:
http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/fcgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=
CA&htmlfid=649/ENUSA07-1844 From the announcement:

"Windows integration - IXS, IXA, and iSCSI: IBM plans that the System i
models 520, 525,
550, 570, and 595 based on POWER5 and POWER5+ processor technology will
be the last
models to support the earlier versions of the Integrated xSeries(r)
Server (IXS). The IXS is a
server running Windows or Linux that is plugged into PCI slots located
inside the System i CEC
or I/O expansion tower/drawer. The recommended replacement option in
POWER6 systems is
the System i integration with BladeCenter(r) and System x server
solution via iSCSI adapters.
The IXA (1519-001/002) and only the newest IXS
(#4811/4812/4813/9812/9813) will be
supported with POWER6 models. Additional IXS or IXA will not be
orderable on POWER6
systems."

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Senior Analyst, Global Information Security