We use views for several reasons.

The first time we used them was to create sales history files that didn't
really exist (joins and summary). Once the view was created, it is treated
much like any other logical file on the system. We used opnqryf to sort them
and RPGLE to read them. Worked good for that particular use. More recently
we have just been creating embedded SQL to do this. Works well.

The second use was to create fields that didn't exist (on hand balance
calculated from 4 columns and available to use calculated through a UDF) for
use by query users.

Caveats...All of our view definitions end up with hardcoded libraries so
they need to be redone (not just copied or restored) when creating test
libraries. Views don't have data or access paths. When you use one, it
builds it on the fly. Across big files or when using complex UDFs, the view
can substantially slow down the work.

Mike Krebs