To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: perl and sendmail on iSeries

I have learned much over the years from your sample code on your site.
Is there an RPGLE stdin sample??

Errr.. on my personal site? I don't think so. There's probably one on
SystemiNetwork.com -- or if not, I can always write one for you if
you're really interested in going that route.

But it sounds like you're more interested in making Sendmail run on i5/OS.

Just to make sure you understand: Sendmail is not just a program for
sending mail (like SNDDST or QtmmSendMail is.) It's a full-fledged SMTP
server with more features than you'll ever use. It has a lot of
configuration options, and in fact, it's configuration is so complex
that it's a standard practice to use a macro language (m4) to generate
the actual configuration file.

I'm sure that Sendmail can be made to run on i5/OS. In fact, I have no
doubt. But, there's a significant learning curve.

Personally, I administer four Sendmail servers (albeit, running on
FreeBSD, not i5/OS). They work great, but it requires a lot of
knowledge to configure and maintain properly.

The only reason I suggested creating a wrapper between formMail.cgi and
QtmmSendMail is to simplify that administration.

I'd also like to point out that the formMail.cgi script you're working
with will almost always be modified by the person who installs it. For
example, if I use it on FreeBSD, the location of sendmail is
/usr/sbin/sendmail instead of /usr/lib/sendmail, so I'd go in and change
the script. That's not unusual on Unix systems. I'd be surprised if
someone objected to you making small changes in order to support your
environment...