Here is a real simple mailer program:

AS/400 SMTP Mail Sender Utility
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/iseries/overview/examples/smtp.txt

*/
/**********************************************************************/
/* */
/* Name: mail.c */
/* */
/* It connects to 'mail' or a specified SMTP server. */
/* This source is self-contained and only includes */
/* system header files. */
/* */
/* To compile this program, issue the following CL */
/* command. (Assuming the correct source location) */
/* CRTBNDC PGM(UTILS/MAIL) SRCSTMF('/src/mail.c') */
/* */
/* Create a link in the IFS to use this program with */
/* Qshell using the following command: */
/* ln -s /qsys.lib/utils.lib/mail.pgm /usr/bin/mail */
/* */
/* Usage: mail user[@hostname] [SMTP server] */
/* Note: default SMTP server is 'mail' \n"); */
/* */
/* This is particularly useful with Qshell: */
/* mail somebody@xxxxxxxxxxxxx < test.txt */
/* */
/* If compiled with DEFINE(DEBUG) you will see */
/* the SMTP responses from the server. */
/* */