To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: perl and sendmail on iSeries

Hi Jim,

At V5R4, is sendmail available to perl scripts on the iSeries?

Hmmm... I'm going to assume you mean "on i5/OS" rather than "on the
iSeries". Obviously, it's available on the iSeries, since the iSeries
can run Linux.

I guess the major question in my mind is this: Do you really want to
stop using the i5/OS SMTP server and replace it with Sendmail running in
PASE? If so, you probably could do so -- but you'd have to learn about
Sendmail configuration, etc. Sendmail is much more versatile, but also
much more complicated than the i5/OS SMTP server.

If all you want to do is send e-mail from your formMail.cgi, it'd be
much much simpler to write a simple wrapper (you can even call it
"sendmail" if you like so that the script doesn't have to change). The
wrapper would receive the e-mail message from the Perl script and then
send it via QtmmSendMail() or socket connection.

all that FormMail.cgi script is going to do is connect a pipe to the
/usr/lib/sendmail program and use that pipe to transmit an e-mail
message. Just write an RPG or C program that reads stdin, saves it to a
file in the IFS, and sends it via QtmmSendMail() or sockets.

This would be (for me, or someone who understands how to use pipes and
send e-mail) a trivial program to write.

Specificially use formMail.cgi from Matt's scripts to do web forms,
and that script is using sendmail.
Implementing someone elses web code, and it either runs on the i
where the current web pages run,
or begin the slippery slope of moving away from the system.
No linux or other unix or even win servers in the network.
This is a tiny model 800, 2 gigs memory and web traffic will be
just a few customers at a time. I've already lost the "perl" decision
and the code is written.
Need to forward the email to an ISP email server (Bellsouth).
(i've read the Setup Perl & Apache faq, and hours of postings
going back to 1996- and see there is an issue with any perl cgi,
but appears there is some workaround?
Posting here instead of web400 cause 95% of the perl postings in midrange-l.
jim franz