Yes that should work, but to those for which it might not be obvious, with the _caveat_ that T1 generates a temporary table of all rows in the original file [of the named fields & expression]. From the original description it would not seem to be an issue [given there might not even be five rows for any one status], but... The number of rows might make such an implementation prohibitive for some tables and/or environments.

For very large result sets, an alternate method might be to use an external table function which returns a given number of rows from that table for a specific key value. That program could use row level access, to decide what rows to return. Some index might be available and conducive to generating a relatively quick sampling; although /random/ probably not nearly as easy as with rand() and ordering. If the program is in its own activation group and can leave the file open for the repeated calls for each status, the file would be opened only for that named activation, thus avoiding open overhead.

Regards, Chuck