To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 11:21 AM
Subject: RE: It only happen on a friday

Back in the day when PC's (!!!!!) were new (and extremely costly) the bank
i worked at shelled out quite a lot of money for numerous TRS80 behemoths.
Data was saved to 5 1/4 inch floppy's.
Our accounting director couldn't understand why most of the floppy's from
one particular person were NEVER readable. Over the phone, he would walk
her through all of the steps involved in saving the LOTUS 1-2-3 spreadsheet
data to a floppy, but invariably when he received it, nothing could be
read.
Maybe it was the transportation of the floppy through the internal mail
that was corrupting the data.
As her office was on my way into work, I was asked to stop, and pick up the
floppy.
The next morning, as I arrived at the woman's office, she was just about to
start inputting the data. Good timing on my part. I was able to watch her
every step. We even took the floppy out, put it back in so that we could
read it.
Excellent - no problems.
As I was calling the accounting director with the good news, she took the
floppy out of the PC. Stuck a blank label onto the floppy and before my
ever-widening eyes, placed the floppy into the typewriter, twisted the
carriage around and proceeded to type onto the blank label.
Before she handed it to me, she straightened out the slightly curved floppy
and said
"Here you are."

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill