There has been a lot of "talk" in one of the recent treads mentioning
exit
programs. I have heard the term for years, but have never worked with
them.
Can some briefly explain what they are, how they are used, maybe point
me to
a common IBM supplied program I could look at, etc. Thanks, Tim

Google is your friend:

Using Telnet exit programs
With the use of exit programs, the experienced programmer can create
customized processing during an application. If the Telnet server finds a
program registered to one of the exit points for the server, it calls that
program using parameters that are defined by the exit point.
An exit point is a specific point in the Telnet program where control may
pass to an exit program. An exit program is a program to which the exit
point passes control.
For each exit point, there is an associated programming interface, called
an exit point interface . The exit point uses this interface to pass
information between the Telnet application and the exit program. Each exit
point has a unique name. Each exit point interface has an exit point
format name that defines how information is passed between the Telnet
application and the customer-written exit program.
Different exit points may share the same exit point interface. When this
is the case, multiple exit points can call a single exit program.

Exit points are available on the iSeries for most (all?) communication
methods and on commands. If you attach an exit point to FTP, you can have
the server pass your program a body of information concerning the FTP
request. Your program can then evaluate the request, set the library
list, do any number of functions, and then pass control back to the FTP
server. The primary use of exit points on FTP, Telnet, etc. are to tell
the processor to accept or deny the incoming request based on your
criteria.