Lukas,

Our (Sterling Commerce) Gentran Integration Suite (GIS) is a modern
application running on i5/OS. GIS is about Enterprise Application
Integration, Business Process Integration and Multi-Enterprise
Collaboration, to borrow some terms from our marketing people. ;-)

I can't say it is an "i5/OS application" because it is a portable Java
application and i5/OS is just one of the operating systems it runs on.
This could be a negative for you, considering your definition. We have
tried very hard to avoid platform-specific code which means there are
some areas where perhaps System i integration could be improved.

That being said, the UI is all browser-based and it is quite pretty
looking, supports all the languages with their native character sets and
has cute little buttons and icons all over the place (but tasteful - not
like some of those websites where it looks like they've implemented
every graphical feature just because they could). Looking at the UI, you
cannot tell whether it is running on i5/OS, UNIX, Windows, etc.

GIS produces reports in cute fonts in PDF files that pop up on your
screen and then you can print them or save them or whatever.

It is very modular and customers can license and use just the components
they need.

As for integration, it interfaces with just about everything and
supports just about every modern acronym you can come up with. As I said
at the beginning, its purpose is integration.

I really can't do the product justice in describing it because it quite
robust and I only know my little tip of the iceberg. I can give you a
URL, but it won't tell you much except how to request more information.
I encourage you to do so if you're interested.
http://www.sterlingcommerce.com/Products/EAI/. There is also a link to a
nifty Flash video, but it won't actually show you the application.

Sorry I can't point you to an overview doc on the web. We used to have
some out there but they must have taken them down to make sure the sales
people get a shot at anybody who is the least bit interested.

I would also venture a guess that our Connect:Direct product would fit
your bill of a modern application running natively. I don't have any
personal involvement with that product but it is produced by an
excellent team.

-Marty