As long as the system works, and there's no
driving business need to replace it,
I've found most business will let it carry on it's merry way.

There is a driving business need to replace it. An 8 year old machine
cannot, by any means, be considered "reliable". That doesn't mean that
the machine could run four more years without a single hitch. But that
the chance of a failure of the machine becomes higher with each minute
it is still in operation.

Replacing a system in a planned procedure can be done within a single
day (Small Businesses). I've done this dozen of times. Sometimes there
were a few hiccups, but not much worth mentioning.

Replacing a system in an unplanned procedure because there was a
critical failure however is completely different. So far I've had
several such cases, and each one was a disaster. Backups were missing.
Backups were improperly made. Backups were never tested. The save format
of the old machine was incompatible with the new machines (As it later
turned out, this was due to the customer running a prerelease of an
ancient OS/400 version).

ISV should educate their customers about the risk of having old
machines.

IBM sells machines. If IBM tells their customers, they should buy a new
machine every three years, even a five your old can tell you WHY they
say this.

ISVs usually don't sell machines (My Employer does, though) - a customer
is more likely to believe them instead of IBM.

A System i needs regular maintenance, just like any other computer.
You'll need to check PTF levels, apply fixes, check ESA functionality,
check backups, etc. etc.

Yes, a System i can work for years without any attention. So can a
Windows machine, as long as it is not connected to the internet. But
it's bad, very bad practice to do so.