From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Lam Stephen
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 2:42 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Console replacement strategy

Hi Pete,

As for HMC is another piece of Hardware and OS which you need to pay for it
excluding IBM MA. People like still perfer the old twinax which can easily
replace with cheap price.

Regards,
Stephen

On 7/13/07, Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Pete

Once you get used to a HMC you will never want to give away the
functionality it offers. I'd also be willing to say it was as bullet proof
as twinax - which I wouldn't say about either LAN or Direct attach
console.

I have one customer that installed it using an existing KVM they had.
While
I find it awkward and a pain to use this way it works fine (though it
would
not be my preference).

The only thing it doesn't do is change tapes and CD's.

If you are seriously investigating this on your customers behalf, get a
decent look at one and get a reasonable trial. The extra money is well
spent.

Regards
Evan Harris