Tier-based pricing makes no sense. Yeah, I know it's the norm in the System i world; don't know about other vendors, but I recall a mainframe colleague saying that IBM uses it (or an equivalent) there, too.

A vendor should be able to calculate what they need to charge per license to make a reasonable profit (or unreasonable, as is their wont). It is unreasonable to think that the same piece of software is worth more on a 570 than on a 520. The only reason that vendors get away with this is (a) because IBM started it, and (b) everyone else does it.

I worked for a software vendor years ago (S/36, not i5). The owner charged the same thing for the software no matter which model you wanted to run it on; in fact it was priced the same on the S/34.

As long as the annual maintenance fees are paid, moving to a different i5 should not result in any charge. Period.

On a related, but slightly different vein, I worked with two vendors last year on product licenses. We have two boxes; one is a backup box that does absolutely nothing but receive backups from the production box periodically. But I needed to be certain that, if we went to the backup box, the software would be available. One vendor said I only needed to pay the full price on one license, but had to paid the annual maintenance on both boxes. Made sense; bought the software. The other vendor wanted to charge full price on both licenses; wouldn't budge. Didn't buy the software.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice