The only exception that I can think of would be if the software is
tier
priced and you are moving from one tier up into another tier. In
that
case, I think it is reasonable for you to pay the difference between
the
two license fees for the tiers.

Rich Loeber
Kisco Information Systems

I agree with Rich on this. Coming primarily from a AS/400, iSeries,
System i5, et al, background I more or less accepted this practice. It
still annoyed me that I would have to pay some sort of upgrade fee,
while under maintenance, to these vendors just to modernize my hardware.
The primary reason for the upgrades was to increase performance to
accommodate increased workloads. These upgrade fees had no value-add to
me.

Now, that being said, we also have a product that has user based pricing
and runs on most major operating systems. We do not charge license
transfer or upgrade fees. Now, I know how the i5 market works, but what
about Windows/Unix/Linux? We seem to get quite a bit of pushback about
even nominal transfer fees from these markets. What has anyone else
seen?

Dan....