A company policy may be to keep 10 years of financial data online. One option
is to partition transactional data files into members, perhaps one member for
each fiscal year because all maintenance and reporting is on a fiscal year
basis only.

You could use transaction dates to filter records rather than using members,
but queries, file copying, and backups require more processing and elapsed time
under that approach.

It really takes some extra plumbing to support the use of multiple
members. Whether the extra plumbing is worth the effort may be
questionable, but I'll go with in the extra plumbing in order to gain
processing efficiencies.

What are examples of extra plumbing? I created a Web portal that enables users
to select "Work Areas" prior to drilling down menu trees. When applications
are launched from a menu they call a common program during an initialization
step which automatically performs member overrides for a given Work Area and
Application ID. A database file is used to define the file overrides for a
give Work Area and Application ID.

ODBC and JDBC clients can also call the program (passing Work Area and
Application ID as constants) to automatically perform member overrides for them.

Nathan M. Andelin