From: Nathan Andelin [mailto:nandelin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:40 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Using Members within a PF

Multiple member physical files are useful in applications that need to
preserve snapshots of your data at certain points in time. Preserving
annual snapshots of financial records, for example. When one fiscal
year is completed, a cut-off point is reached, and a new member is added
to hold new orders and transactions thereafter, for example. Creating a
snapshot of student enrollment records for each school year may be
another example.

Since the data is partitioned into smaller units, queries and single
member backups run faster than in cases where all the records are stored
in just one member. However, you may want to weigh the performance
gains against the hassle of doing member overrides for query and
maintenance purposes.

Nathan M. Andelin