Sorry, should have been a little more clear on that extract thing... DDS
described files don't usually have RI constraints defined. Also, other
types of constraints are SQL defined, so the extraction, which is based on
reading the SQL catalog files, doesn't have much to work with other than
the physical definition of fields in the files. So, the initial extraction
does not produce workable models without some effort on your part.

hth

R Bruce Hoffman wrote:

I have used both ERWin and Embarcadero's ERStudio successfully with the
AS/400, i Series and i5's. However, you should be aware that these
products (and no product really can, witness the extraction maps of Ops
Nav...) will only extract the basic definitions and the linking of the
mapped objects is still a manual thing.

That being said, I did prefer ERWin for it's ability, once the
relationships were all described, to produce change scripts in the base
product.

Again, there is no shortcut to producing the models in these products.
But once the work of migrating the meta-data into these models is
complete, if you continue to use them, there are significant advantages
and benefits in the long term aside from just the diagrams.

eftimios pantzopoulos wrote:

I'm working at a site which has a system that's been in place for over 15
years and has had lots of files (but no SQL DDL) added over the years after
the base system was installed. No-one knows exactly what is in there and I
want to create an ERD using some sort of tool. I know OPs Navigator has a
function, but it doesn't seem rich enough in functionality. Does anyone use
such a diagramming technique, and if so, any suggestions as to what
product(s) might be useful with DB2?

I would presume that the tool could suck basic stuff out of DB2 and then
provide drawing tools to relate foreign key relationships at least.

I've been using the Paul Conte/Mike Cravitz book as an SQL reference and I
was thinking of the sorts of diagrams that they were using in chapter 20 of
the book.

Searching in Midrange didn't provide any definitive answers.

Regards,
Mike Pantzopoulos

Advertisement: Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at
www.seek.com.au

http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=july07_endtext_future&_m=EXT

--
"Suppose you were an idiot...
And suppose you were a member of Congress...

R Bruce Hoffman