A few other points that may be helpful.

I also subscribe to a list that shares information about
computer breaches ... you might want to review relevant
archives to give you ideas about kinds of data associated
with breaches, and the types of corporate errors that lead to
them happening. It is not just computer data stored in the
obvious places.

If someone were to visit my apartment, they would find off-
site backup, manuals, source programs I working on. I have
told my co-workers and managers that there is this situation
& where I store the off-site backup. In a crisis I would not
be surprised if they forget about this.

We have an inventory of who is supposed to have keys to the
kingdom ... but some keys get passed around too fast to keep
good track of them ... like the company truck has 3 sets of
keys ... where are they all?

Does the company have many lap tops that managers, sales
reps, etc. take on the road? Does the company have a good
inventory of how many are in circulation? How about other
electronics that connect to company network that is somewhat
portable?

We recently had a security incident, details of which I may
not divulge. 100% of system passwords got changed. I
notified IT staff and top management what the new ones were,
and where I hide my cheat sheet, and how to translate it.
However, if I get hit by a bus, odds are my cheat sheet won't
survive either. My cheat sheet is not in plain text ... it
is "other plain text" that looks like something other than
what it is for ... a person needs to know how to translate
the data there into the secret passwords ... I do this
because there are too many passwords to keep them all in my
head, and I have already been burned keeping passwords on a
computer that went down.

We recently had a HIT BY BUS incident.
I am the only person who has done the end fiscal month year
physical updates for the company for the last 3 years & the
porcess gets changed every few months (new reports added,
some reports dropped, change some business rules) then I got
called for JURY DUTY. I told everyone, I suggested who would
be best qualified to learn my critical duties. From top
management on down, they decreed no one had time to take on
any additional duties, we would just have to hope for the
best. My boss wrote a nice letter to the Judge, which did
not get me excused. The jury was to start a few days before
EOM ... fortunately I only spent a day there & they did not
select me to be one of the lucky 13.
As a result of this, I brought the end fiscal check list up
to date & told accounting where it was located. I
specifically included in there "Suppose the person who is
doing end fiscal knows our computer system, knows BPCS, but
does not know our operations ... what do they need to know to
get the job done?" or "Suppose we bring back an employee who
used to do it 5 years ago, what has changed since then?"