Your design is flawed - an IP address does not represent a single user,
nor does it represent a single user.

I'm aware that there are issues. I'm trying to narrow them down so that
various users can use the option that suits them best.

STRPCO seems to work quite well but has a miserably short command string
length (that I can live with if need be, for them). It also opens a PC
command window that is annoying to see. The ultimate PC java program also
works much better if it calls the ultimate class from within itself instead
of being call from the command line by STRPCO.

NAT seems to work as long as NAT travesal (sp) is disabled. (Which seems to
help VPN connections anyway, but I don't recall why at the moment.)

The other failure points may have a hack that some user could use, though a
hack is a hack [yuk]

The concatenation idea would yield a unique id but I need to have a host
application know it so it can be used as a key for the data queue entry.

Since the host seems to retrieve the proper IP address perhaps I can have
the PC java app call a host app to send back the IP address the host sees.
The host response could be placed on a 2nd data queue using the concatenated
id. Seems pretty silly to ask what ones name is, though as I get older I can
see where that could become a reality. [smile]

Steve

Your application will break if the client is behind NAT.
Your application will break if it is running on a Terminal Server.
Your application might break if there are short DHCP lease times.

You'll need another design. If your client is Windows, I would recommend
a concatenation of the machine SID, user SID and the Session ID - this
WILL be unique in every scenario.

If you're looking for a more universal solution, it get's more
difficult. You can use the hostname and the username, but this might not
always work.