From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of PaulMmn
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 10:08 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Power Outage

I don't know about other systems, but supposedly Halon systems don't remove
oxygen from the room, they just lower the concentration enough to suppress
the fire-- AFAIK, you can still breathe in the room.
And, supposedly, Halon systems are non-toxic.

Of course, that was before Halon became unhealthy to the environment.

I suspect that insurance risk management would be more annoyed if you had a
dry chemical system, or (heaven forfend!) a water-based system instead!
Although I have heard that pushing Halon thru the pipes for the first time
results in all sorts of contaminants spraying all over the computer room.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings:

Forget SarBox auditors, what happens if your insurance company's risk
management team finds you don't have fire suppression? Even worse, what
happens if they find you have gas-based fire suppression and have
humans working in the room regularly? (No, do NOT assume said humans
will always be conscious or mobile enough to leave the room if the gas
system is
triggered!)

Darrell