My point must have been missed... Restore *does* keep the value from the Saved dataspace object; see the suggested modification to the given scenario and then review/verify the results. What was discussed was *recovery* activity which is _beyond_ just restore. There are already actions being taken in the given scenario, beyond restore, to effect recovery -- the APYJRNCHG itself. Recovery should be rare.
I am not saying that storing the updated identity attribute along with the insert data can not be done, nor that there would be no value in so doing. In fact I stated that with regard to the NEXT VALUE, it is "a valid point that it would be nice if it could be applied" during the APYJRNCHG. However I added that.... In wishing to be able to effect that, by applying journaled changes as compared to the relatively low-cost method of adding an ALTER RESTART WITH as part of DR, "the *cost* is an issue that must be considered". Cost, as compared to the expectation that the value is to be tracked with every [insert] journal entry.
Additionally... Submitting a DCR for inferred as missing function *should* be done. I intended to give extra information about what I thought was a resolution to the concern; i.e. a stored procedure to effect the change/ALTER after the APYJRNCHG [just like the HA sfw does].

Regards, Chuck
-- All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind whatsoever and may not represent positions, strategies, nor views of my employer

Walden H. Leverich wrote:
FWiW: The journaled changes are the data. The attribute of identity
value at each insert is not row data, and the value is not separately
recorded/tracked neither in its own entry nor as part of the row entry.
Sorry, I can't really buy that. What you're saying is it's ok that there is no way to "restore" a file to a point in time using the native save/restore methods in i5/OS. Issuing an alter-table isn't a valid part of a save/restore process, IMHO. This is clearly a DCR candidate.
-Walden