Just a question from one that has not looked into encryption at all,

What is the impact of queries run over files with encrypted data? If the
encrypted field is a part of the key to access the records in the file,
what's the impact there? The boss wants a simple list sorted by encrypted
field with specific other requirements. This happens a lot at here in the
office, and I was wondering how query or SQL access to those encrypted
fields is impacted.

Thanks!

Jim