Re: When an AS/400 is called an iSeries

fixed

Darrell,

This is, I think, the inherent problem. We spend more time trying to work
out what it was, why they did it, what went on, and how crappy it was,
rather than becoming a community around a brand name.

IBM sells i5 servers. They can run i5/OS, AIX 5L, Linux 64-bit and using
iSCSI, can provide tight integration with Windows and Linux 32-bit.

Since many people still have AS/400s and iSeries servers, there is a name to
bring us all together - that name is System i.

Sure, it does not match what everyone likes, or be what everyone wants, and
it may not make sense to every myopic developer, and it certainly annoys
some green screen programmers. But it is what we have. It is OUR ugly. I
guess we are like any dysfunctional family (or is that d(i)sfunctional?),
but while we keep calling it an AS/400, the world thinks we are out of date.
Regardless of whether or not you like it, saying the words "System i" is
less difficult than people are making it out to be.

Trevor