Exactly - BPCS files all ship with 37...

Clare

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Ryan" <michaelrtr@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: CCSID

Maybe cause you're a BPCS shop in the US?

On 6/7/07, rob@xxxxxxxxx <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Funny thing. We're a BPCS shop. I ran CHGSYSVAL QCCSID to 37 midday and
never looked back.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Clare Holtham" <Clare.Holtham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/07/2007 11:08 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: CCSID

Hi Guy,

Why? Well, 37 = US, and 285 = UK, and 65535 = 'don't translate'.
BUT... before you change to one that does translate, check your
application - for example BPCS has to be 65535 otherwise all sorts of
unpredictable things happen to the data!
You can change the files though - you might want to change the file that
was
created with '37' to '285'? Was it created on a system set to 37 Qchrid?
Have a look at the system values QCCSID etc too. The default is 65535.
QCHRID default is 697 37, but usually the second part is changed to a
local
country value. If you want to find out more, look under 'National Language

Support' in the IBM manuals.
It's an interesting area though!! At least in the UK we only have the
pound
sign different (and just to confuse us all, when Americans say 'pound
sign'
they usually mean what we call 'hash'), if you were working in Turkey or
the
Czech Republic, there would be considerably more to worry about! It's
especially good fun to unravel in Client/Server apps, where a hex code can

get translated in one direction ASCII to EBCDIC, and then the garbled
translation is translated back again to something completely different -
such as the character that 'blanks the screen'!

Hope this helps,

Clare

Clare Holtham
Director, Small Blue Ltd