From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 9:15 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Survey: What do you use more? RCLSTG or GO SAVE 21?

I pretty much do run my own GO SAVE 21. For two reasons, One, to log
the times (which the new enhancement will alleviate).
Two, to string the RCLSTG and saves together so that I can do this from
home with my handy remote access to my HMC and not have to lose time
after the RCLSTG and before starting the saves.
While I have had one lpar that seems to take a lot longer on RCLSTG than
seems reasonable (significantly smaller than other lpars, and much more
horsepower than some other lpars) I've not experienced your
difficulties.
And, I don't use user asps or independent asps, etc.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Ingvaldson, Scott" <SIngvaldson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/06/2007 09:32 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Survey: What do you use more? RCLSTG or GO SAVE 21?

Neither, ever!

We used to do RCLSTG prior to O/S upgrades. The last time we tried to
run a RCLSTG I had to kill it after about 60 hours. Previously they had
run 4-6 hours. We now have about 8 million documents in a 1.2 TB UDFS
on external DASD. Support was very clear: "DON'T DO RCLSTG UNLESS WE
TELL YOU TO!"

We used to do Opt 21 saves at year-end. Now they have the same issue as
above. We use BRMS and have to omit /dev/QASP03/ESS800.UDFS from every
save, or they will run for 60-90 hours.

A status display would be nice for both. Before BRMS we used a Line 27
Break Message monitor to send status messages to the bottom of the
screen during the SAVSYS. Many times that saved waiting for hours to
find out that the backup wasn't running!

Just an FYI, it is possible to write your own version of an Opt 21 save.
As long as you follow the basic format a GO RESTORE 21 will restore from
your version.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
System i Administrator