I see what's going on Jeff. I am just a messenger so please don't shoot me
:)
In my opinion, you have sufficient set up for the referential key constraint
to be added. For some reason unknown to me, IBM decided that unique
constraint in DDS does not qualify as primary key constraint. To find out
why, you'll have to ask IBM, they may have had a very good reason for it.

To remedy your current conundrum, you'll need to add a primary key
constraint to your DMCATMST file prior to running your ALTER TABLE to add a
referential constraint, i.e.:

ADDPFCST FILE(JEFF/DMCATMST) TYPE(*PRIKEY) KEY(CTCODE)
CST(DMCATMST_PRIMARY_KEY)

I strongly believe that new primary key constraint ought to share the access
path of the unique key you have on the physical file, so from performance
standpoint you shouldn't incur the penalty of maintaining another access
path.

HTH, Elvis

Celebrating 10-Years of SQL Performance Excellence
http://centerfieldtechnology.com/training.asp