So is the answer a definitive NO that vista will never
work for a netshare on v5r1?

I didn't say that, because i don't have a V5R4 machine standing around.

Maybe someone will find a hack, or a setting that will make it work. It
still won't be supported, so it's not worth spending even a minute on.

having a windows server just for this small 10 node
testing network a way of saying you aren't sure but
you think we are lazy?

Why would you want to run a 6 year old, unsupported OS _anywhere_? Even
in a testing environment it serves no purpose. And you can upgrade your
270 to V5R4.

I again urged long ago that the $100 per computer to change the
license to XP pro would be a well thought out investment vs
the man power put into trying to make this work.

Yeah, or you could use your volume license agreement and just install
XP, without paying any additional charges.

IT should be done professionally - trying to use a 6 year old,
unsupported OS is not professional, it's stupid, and usually problems
will arrive in galore - I really don't understand why you're trying to
blame them on Vista.