windows backup.
it is based on shadow copy, which looks to be save while active for the IFS.

Shadow copies are generic volume snapshots, they are not directly a backup
technology. i5/OS still can't do generic volume snapshots on the IFS, or even
in the Database (a feature i've been really missing). Windows Backup just uses
Shadow Copies as a backend mechanism to ensure consistent backups.

In a corporate setting, you don't need to backup desktop machines anyway (just
redeploy the base image, all data is on the server). I've been using the Vista
Backup program at home, and i've had the main system hard drive fail - the
restore worked flawlessly. This can't be said about earlier versions of
ntbackup.

We have had a limited vista deployment since about a year (Techies running
Betas), and are now rolling out vista to our sales/marketing staff - we haven't
had problems so far, and UAC is a very good thing since it allows using legacy
applications without too much effort, but limits privileges for new
applications.

I haven't had any killer issues with Vista - the only thing that IBM really
screwed up is iSeries Access, which still hasn't all kinks ironed out - but
it's typical for IBM to lag a year behind, technology wise.

(That's why the 515 and 525 still doesn't have 2.5" SAS drives).