Ok a real funny story. We have employees 24x7. Their PC and lights are
on the UPS so in a power failure, they can continue to work. 3 ups' of
various battery run time. No monitoring cause we have people in the
building. Yea right. Well the Big UPS had the shortest run time,
little over an hour. The two smaller ones had big external battery
packs that gave them almost 8 hours of run time. Power goes out and hey
they have phones, lights, and the 3497 terminals were working so keep on
working. An hour later, the screen are still powered but stop
responding. (The AS400 was on the big UPS and the terminals were on one
of the smaller UPS' and the PBX on the other.) Time to call IS. The
operator get there and finds the power out and the one UPS shut down.
OK he grabs the Generator and starts it up, runs the cables into the
server room and calls me. I tell him to unplug the UPS from the wall
and plug it into the generator feed. "Oh Ship" (edited). He un plugs
the second AS400 from the working UPS and crashes it. Now we are out of
business.

Best laid plans still require human interfaces. (That operator later
became the VP of the department. I Quit!)

Christopher Bipes
Information Services Director
CrossCheck, Inc.