From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 12:12 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MIDRANGE-L Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1025

message: 7
date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:11:59 -0400
from: Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: OVRPRTF to PC connected printer not working

What is the make/model of the printer ????

Dick Superneau wrote:

I have a printer attached to a PC on the network. The printer is the
default printer for the PC and has a Client Access printer emulation
session defined.

------------------------------

message: 8
date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:11:07 -0500
from: jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: OVRPRTF to PC connected printer not working

Quoting Dick Superneau <DSuperneau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

date: Mon, 21 May 2007 11:01:31 -0500
from: jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: OVRPRTF to PC connected printer not working.

Quoting Dick Superneau <DSuperneau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I have a printer attached to a PC on the network. The printer is
the
default printer for the PC and has a Client Access printer emulation
session defined. I am trying to send a report to the printer from
our >>> our iSeries 520 at V5R4 (the box is just another node on the
network). I >>> am trying to OVRPRTF the report and change the CPI and
page rotation
characteristics of the report. If I do the override and send the
report to a network printer, it works just fine. When I try to do
it to >>> the PC printer, the report prints consistently in the CA
defined format >>> and does not appear to be affected by any overrides.
Is it possible to
send a spool file to a printer in this case?

I have an outqueue and writer defined for this printer. I have also
specified this writer as the default PRTDEV for the user.

I have not been able to find any information on printing to a
printer
that is not network defined and is local to the computer it is
connected to. Any direction that someone can provide will be
appreciated.

Richard Superneau

Programmer/Analyst

Davis Transport

Phone: 406-728-5510

Fax: 406-728-5877

--

Could you install the optional TCP LPR component onto the pc? Then,
remote

John McKee

--

When I looked up the process of setting up an LPR printer, it appears
that the printer needs the IP address of a server which provides the

Thanks, Dick

--

Printer is attached to the pc. Configure the printer as usual for a pc.
But,

Then, on that same pc, install the optional LPD (my mistake, not LPR)
component.
Been a while since I have done this. When a print file is sent to the
IP of
the pc, and sent to the share name, it will print. On the AS/400 (or
whatever
it is called), set up remote outq to the pc IP address, use the share
name for
output queue.

John McKee