From: Steve Richter

George Farr refers to Rational having a broad focus on the system i.
I interpret that as bringing more Java, PHP, Linux apps to the system.
Farr also says IBM loves the system i customer base. Shearer says he
wants to sell more blade servers, SANS and other technologies to the
system i customer base.

Steve, I am certain that as long as it's up to George, there will always be
a primary focus on RPG as the business language for the System i (and I'm
pretty comfortable that it will be up to George for the foreseeable future).

You asked about new BIFs; we're not really going to get much in the way of
BIFs this time around, but there's a good reason for that. We're going to
get something you've been asking for forever: true multi-threaded RPG. And
as you well know, multi-threading isn't something done lightly, so I'm not
surprised if there isn't much else on the plate.

I am not an advocate, just interested in the topic. I think what is
going on is IBM is trying to beat Oracle and MSFT to the punch in
terms of selling system i customers on the "broader" IBM product set.

Well, yes, there will be some of that. EGL, for example, is going to be
pitched as a one-stop development language that will compete with high-end
generators like LANSA and OptimalJ. At the same time, though, I think
you'll always see a focus on preserving and extending the legacy investment
that exists in today's shops. For example, I think you'll see better and
better integration between EGL and RPG.

Joe