hqlinux:/etc # echo $EDITOR

hqlinux:/etc # apropos editor
pdisk (8) - Apple partition table editor for Linux
ex (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
vi (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
rvim (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
ex (1p) - text editor
ed (1) - text editor
vi (1p) - screen-oriented (visual) display editor
psed (1) - a stream editor
s2p (1) - a stream editor
sed (1p) - stream editor
rview (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
jfs_debugfs (8) - shell-type JFS file system editor
gvim (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
rgvim (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
red (1) - text editor
joe (1) - Joe's Own Editor
rjoe (1) - Joe's Own Editor
jpico (1) - Joe's Own Editor
zshzle (1) - zsh command line editor
rgview (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
vim (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
view (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
gview (1) - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor
jstar (1) - Joe's Own Editor
jmacs (1) - Joe's Own Editor
atobm (1x) - bitmap editor and converter utilities for the X
Window System
FvwmConsoleC.pl (1) - Command editor for FVWM command input interface
editres (1x) - a dynamic resource editor for X Toolkit
applications
bitmap (1x) - bitmap editor and converter utilities for the X
Window System
bmtoa (1x) - bitmap editor and converter utilities for the X
Window System
xedit (1x) - simple text editor for X
hqlinux:/etc #

Ok, I tried a few, like ed and sed. They looked like they weren't doing
anything. Could be because of the way I shut down my session to get out
of the editor (stupid user mistake, I know). So I tried vi. That let me
know that I was a stupid user and how to recover. I was able to get it
done using that editor and a link to a site (thanks for the google tip.
First hit worked fine.)

Now I am going to go home promptly at 5, drink, and work with heavy
equipment. And if I get that job done, discharge and clean my
muzzleloader.