Vern speaks the gospel.

CQE has been running thousands of businesses critical applications for 20+
years so don't think that just because your query is not using SQE it's
going to perform poorly. It will use an index where it makes sense.

BTW, I'm curious, when you ran visual explain, did your query use an index?
That's the question you should be asking yourself if you're after better
performance. Not to say that table scan won't perform better in some cases.

Actually, in almost every case where your query gets more than 20% of the
data.

Normally, if you want your query to take advantage of an index (regardless
of CQE vs SQE) you'd have to avoid using functions on the field. However in
the case of UPPER I think you have a chance of it using an index as long as
it's created with appropriate sort sequence table (see "Using UPPER SQL
scalar function" section in that article for details).

Don't despair, good indexing strategy will ensure your application performs
well, and don't get stuck in the low level details unnecessarily (i.e. CQE
vs SQE).

Elvis

Celebrating 10-Years of SQL Performance Excellence