Gord, I can supply more details later, (running off to play golf....), but
wanted to give you some ideas.
I am sure there are ways to extract the status of MQ using API, but I didn't
want to go down that route. Our box that runs MQ is very old (3.7), but
due to the cost of adding that to any larger systems we own, we have decided
to just leave it be. MQ is about all that happens on that box and it runs
flawlessly.

Our activity is very high with USCS. It is very rare that we would go more
than a few minutes without receiving data during the week and an hour on the
weekends.

I have separated our MQ processing into two jobs that run in a subsystem. A
"receiver" job, just waits for data to hit the queue, and then uses the MQ
API to pick the data off and write the data to a PF. This job sits in a
DEQW status and its only function is to take the data from the MQ queue and
add data to the PF. The other job is the "processor". It runs in a 100
second interval. It copies the data from the PF the listener gathers into a
file in QTEMP (of course the proper locking is done to prevent data loss),
and then runs it thru the translation process and database update on the
iSeries boxes that run the applications.

In the receiver job, I write to a data area every time I get data from
customs.

For sending data, I basically just drop the data onto the queue and it goes,
but I wrote a command that extracts the queue depth.

Then I have a monitor job (and screen) that checks to be sure the outbound
queue depth is 0 (if it not, then after 20 minutes it runs thru an automated
process of ending the MQ channel and restarting, and after 30 min if the
queue does not clear, I get a text message). For the receive side, my
monitor checks the last receive date/time in the data area and if it is over
the threshold parameter (currently 60 min during the week and 4 hours on the
weekend), I get a text message. The monitor does not run after 10pm or
before 6am.

The monitor also pings the IP address of the MQ channel to check to see if
the connection is up or down, and reports that to me immediately as well. I
can not tell you how many times I have called USCS to tell them their
network went down. This is a far cry from how we did it 5 years ago when we
used dialup MSRJE. It was nothing but constant babysitting and very poor
performance. Our MQ system is bulletproof, and I never, ever think about it
any more. I think we went to MQ over frame about 3 years ago.

Below is a snapshot of our AMS system monitor:

4/27/07 Display AMS Status
VAN400
9:49:46 Alert pages are send to . .: PAGECARL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Current AMS mode . . . . . .: *MQ

Last dial up time . . . . .:

Last dialup event date/time :

MQ processing delay (secs) .: 000100

Monitor Alert Status . . . .: *ON

Monitor Processing Delay(sec) 000600

Snooze wake up time . . . .:

Last MQ Receive date/time .: 4/27/2007 9:49:37

Current Receive Queue Depth.: 0

No receive data wait (sec) .: 000060

MQ Link status . . . . . . .: UP

Last MQ Processing date/time: 4/27/2007 9:48:01

MQ Receive *ON/*OFF . . . .: *ON

Received records waiting . .: 48 in file: EDIMQIN

Last send queue status = 0 .: 4/27/2007 9:46:23

No send auto-recovery (sec).: 0020

No send alert (sec) . . . .: 0030

Current Send Queue Depth . .: 0

Last Monitor post date/time.: 4/27/2007 9:46:35

F3-Exit F5-Refresh F8-Display Received data F12-Cancel
F15-Snooze
F17-Toggle Monitor ON/OFF F18-Chg MQ Proc delay F19-Chg Monitor
Delay

When an item is an issue, the color of that item turns red. It has worked
great for us. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
770-422-2995
www.ediconsulting.com