Any firewall can handle it, it's not difficult at all... it's just simply a matter of trust... you can do it with VPNs, but that requires trust between the two organizations. Or the "extremely" trusting can just open the ports directly on the web and limit the source addresses, but everything passes in the clear.

Mark Villa wrote:
Not trying to change the subject too much, but along these same
<subject> lines, have you guys figured out how to connect the two
iSeries where services "work" such as DDM file access, over various
firewalls? I know it can be done, depending on the latitude given, but
we can generally agree - it is difficult, perhaps you can not change
the firewall on the other end except to allow ports from your IP.
(perhaps a by-product of outsourcing security)

How is the conversation handled? It would seem that a service provider
need to maintain a firewall server that matches the communication
requirements with the top 5-10 firewall softwares that handles the
conversation for your other internal servers/services.

For example, my PC cisco client config for a particular client is
locked down very tight. It would save me time if the two iSeries
talked. FTP'ing a file to my local and then to a target does not save
time. As it is now, even on my local, I need to save & switch virtual
adapters from different client vendors, they will not /may not
co-exist.

Would be nice to keep a document online for iseries-iseries
communications in today's locked down world. This document would show
how far we have to go to get "reasonable communications" and not
excessively expensive (in time) communications. And would be a good
topic for the conferences.

-Mark