And how about simple Domino mail users accessing a Domino server that
resides on a 515 or 525?

Pete Helgren
<Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: To
midrange-l-bounce Midrange Systems Technical
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
04/18/2007 02:37
PM Subject
Re: 515 and 525 user licensing

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Just to add more to the mix (and Larry is right on with his
information. He must have sat through the same, agonizingly detailed BP
presentations as I did) .

If you are running a Linux LPAR, you don't need UE's for any users (real
or imagined) that access resources within the partition. So, if you had
a PHP app running against a MySQL database within that partition, you
need no UE's. None. If, however, you access System i resources (DB for
example) then UE's apply.

Where things get interesting is if you have an IXA/IXS running Windows
accessing the System i then do you pay for Windows CAL's and System i
UE's? I can't remember, but perhaps I dozed off during that part.

The reality here, and Larry said it, is this is based in large part in
System i owners policing themselves. Given the way they have structured
the licensing there is no automated way they could ever count "persons".

Pete Helgren

albartell wrote:
On another note,
when you install PHP it creates/uses two profiles: ZENDADMIN and
ZENDTECH, so I guess PHP just cost me $500? (2 users at $250 as per
Pete Heldgrens
email)

Here I think those users would NOT count. They are there to own and
operate

ZEND PHP. They do not constitute real users >with actual fingers so they
would be 'free'.

I am guessing that they would have software to help track profiles and
keep
accurate counts? I can see a shop with good intentions not tallying up
everything correctly because of the number of apps running on the iSeries
and then inherently the number of application specific profiles. I can't
see IBM being organized enough to know that ZENDTECH and ZENDADMIN were
*free* profiles vs. ones that should be charged for. Sure these are
easier
to spot than others, but that isn't always going to be the case.

Anyways...doing the honor system usually means those that are honest pay
more because the dishonest don't honor - and I would be one that would
honor
so I would be paying up the butt! Now I am back to this not making
logical
sales sense though I do believe I understand the situation better (if
that
makes sense).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com