I thought that the whole purpose of the 515 and 525 models was to be able to sell to the smaaall business. Companies like my sister's: 3 employees (sometimes 4 when I feel like slumming). Maybe I just misunderstood the business model here.

But, even if my presumption is correct, it still isn't going to work unless the software vendors don't adjust their pricing accordingly. I worked for a software vendor (in an earlier incarnation). The price of the package (S/36) was $36k. Didn't matter if you were the 5th largest company in the world in the industry (which was one of our clients) or some guy operating a backhoe - the price was still $36k.

The tiered pricing on the AS/400 changed that somewhat, but the assumption that a company running a P20 was bigger (and more able to pay) than a P10 company wasn't necessarily true. I don't know how, but in order for tis to work, the value-add vendors are going to have to bring themselves in line with the new model. Is it better business to try to sell 1 glass of lemonade for $1,000,000 or a million glasses for $1 each? Both are pretty touch, though the latter seems to have more potential.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Larry Bolhuis wrote:
I and others asked many user based questions of Jim Herring and Ian Jarman on the iSociety Chat last week. (Complete transcript here: http://www.isociety.org/Chat20070412.html ) You can read the exact answers there but here is the summary of what I learned.

1) User profiles count, not signed on users. It wasn't asked but the Q profiles cannot possibly count as there are nearly 50 of them to start and the base 515 license is 5 users and the limit is 40!

2) The same user (a real person) accessing the system in a great number of ways counts as one. Ian said: "One person one user. Answer = one."

3) The 40 users is hard cap on the 515, not a suggestion, guideline, or recommendation.

4) You could theoretically allow all your users to sign on with one user profile. It would work but you would be in violation of the license. Jim said: "we trust in the integrity of the our clients"

Hopefully this clears things up just a little.

- Larry

Greg Wenzloff wrote:
Group,

I guess I didn't grasp the discussion on the new licensing counts very
well.

We have 177 user profiles on our system. 49 of them start with 'Q'.
Sometimes we sign on as QSECOFR but the rest are not used to sign on.
So I figure I need 1 seat for the 'Q' profiles - perhaps 2 if I count
QSYSOPR.

I have about 40 RF terminals in the factory that sign on as 5250
sessions using a user profile for each terminal. Multiple workers use
each terminal entering a badge number for their transactions - the OS
shouldn't care about that. So currently these terminals would need 40
seats. Right? But what if I change it so there is only one user profile
that signs onto 40 devices. Do I only need 1 seat now for the
factory?

I don't have any 'external users' using the system.

I'm thinking we need about a 100 user 525 but not sure exactly how to
count it.
I hope they go over this at COMMON.

Greg