On 4/11/07, James Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Steve Richter wrote:

> On 4/11/07, Brian Lewis <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:23:58 -0400
>> "Steve Richter" <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> In CL you can catch an exception that
>>> is thrown by an RPG program. Can Perl catch Java exceptions?

Something I started wondering about: can CL catch Java exceptions on
iSeries? My experience so far is no, it can't. AFAIK ILE C, RPG, and CL
use their own exception model and don't share that with the exception
model used by java and therefore don't catch java exceptions. I'm
interested to hear differently.

If I'm correct, then it would weaken the argument that iSeries is so
wonderful because of exception catching. CL's failure to catch java
exceptions is no different than the failure of any language to catch them.

you are correct, James. To integrate exception handling as you
describe you need a CLI - common language infrastructure. Where
objects newed up in the exception throwing code can be processed in
the catching code. So far MSFT is the only entity that has created
such a thing.

>> I don't know. That functionality may exist, or may not. It depends on
>> whether anyone ever needed that enough to create it.
>
> I think it is more the case they cant do it without rewriting Linux
> and breaking a lot of code. MSFT has to spend many $billions to
> create .NET in order to get integrated exception, debugger and call
> stack support.

Microsoft's efforts/successes/failures/smarts/stupidty has nothing to do
with what linux can do.

I think it matters to people making real world decisions as to which
OS and language to bet their future on. I cant argue with the success
of Java and PHP. Probably the integration that I value does not matter
much compared to what PHP gives you, which is the ability to crank out
a lot of application code w/o having to call out to the OS.

-Steve